Aliens come to movie screens in a few different ways. Sometimes they come in peace; sometimes they come to destroy; and sometimes… well sometimes they just come. In ARRIVAL, the new sci-fi film from SICARIO director Denis Villeneuve, they do just come - and it’s up to Amy Adams' language specialist to figure out why. On this week's show, Josh and guest host Michael Phillips have a review, plus thoughts on Jeff Nichols’ LOVING and Mel Gibson's HACKSAW RIDGE.
This episode of Filmspotting is brought to you by Filmstruck / Squarespace / Harry's (code Filmspotting).
Filmspotting #611 - Click here or the podcast icon to listen
0:00-1:48 - Billboard
1:48-23:43 - Review: "Loving"
Charles Bradley, "God Bless America"
25:08-39:01 - Notes / Massacre Theater
39:01-51:50 - Review: "Hacksaw Ridge"
Charles Bradley, "Changes"
53:10-1:08:05 - Review: "Arrival"
1:08:05-1:12:10 - Close / Outtake
- Charles Bradley
- Massacre Theatre Winner: Matt McCafferty, Pilesgrove, NJ
- Josh's "Loving" review
- Richard Brody's "Loving" review
- Josh's Think Christian piece on "Hacksaw Ridge"
- Thomas Johnstone's Squarespace movie site
- Filmspotting Live Show Tickets
- Movies Are Prayers, available for pre-order