In most teen coming of age movies, it’s usually the boys who do the coming of age. But in THE EDGE OF SEVENTEEN, the focus is squarely on the girls. First-time feature director Kelly Fremon Craig’s film has been praised by critics, but mostly ignored by audiences. Adam and Josh share some praise of their own and TCM's Marya E. Gates calls in to share her picks for the Top 5 Teen Girl Movies Directed by Women. Plus: some post-credits ARRIVAL spoiler talk.
This episode of Filmspotting is brought to you by Filmstruck.
Filmspotting #613 - Click here or the podcast icon to listen
0:00-1:23 - Billboard
1:23-30:49 - Review "The Edge of Seventeen"
"Vanity," Mica Levi (Jackie)
31:44-45:26 - Notes / Polls
45:26-57:01 - Golden Brickspotting
"The End," Mica Levi (Jackie)
57:59-1:02:30 - Donations
1:02:30-1:36:14 - Top 5: Teen Girl Movies Directed by Women
1:36:14-1:53:07 - Close / Spoiler Talk: "Arrival"
- Josh's "The Edge of Seventeen" review
- Filmspotting "Wrap Party Live" Tickets
- Movies Are Prayers, available for pre-order
- Profile of Marya Gates
- Follow Marya on Twitter
- Marya's "Year With Women" List
- Marya's Teen Girl Movies List
- Upcoming "Cameraperson" Screenings
- Portland Meetup thread in Forum