With the opening weeks of the new administration marked by political protest, Adam and Josh invite critic Michael Sicinski to share his Top 5 Political Resistance Movies. Plus, they cross off a major shared blind spot – the seminal resistance film THE BATTLE OF ALGIERS (1966) – and discuss the next film in their Luis Bunuel Marathon, TRISTANA.
This episode of Filmspotting is brought to you by Squarespace (code FILM).
Filmspotting #621 - Click here or the podcast icon to listen
0:00-3:54 - Billboard
3:54-39:29 - Top 5: Political Resistance Movies
Souad Massi, "Bima el'taaloul"
40:30-52:56 - Notes / Massacre Theatre
52:56-1:12:10 - Blindspotting: "The Battle of Algiers"
Souad Massi, "Hadari"
1:13:08-1:20:19 - Donations
1:20:19-1:40:09 - Bunuel #5: "Tristana"
1:40:09-1:52:55 - Close / Hot Mics
- Souad Massi
NOTES / LINKS
- Massacre Theatre winner: Anthony Gipson, San Antonio, TX
- Michael Sicinski's official site
- Michael on Letterboxd
- John Berger's "Ways of Seeing"
- Ken Jacobs' "Capitalism: Child Labor"
- Scene from "Hunger"
- Josh's "Battle of Algiers" review
- Movies Are Prayers, available for pre-order